Thursday, April 19, 2012

New Zealand to Fiji - Day Four

We're still running off before some very big seas on a course of 330 degrees magnetic. Earlier this morning I tried to head higher but the big seas right on our beam was too intimidating. The drawback to our current course is that we're heading for New Caledonia, a nice place but not our destination.

Our sailplan right now is still the storm trysail, a bright orange scrap of a sail, and our staysail, which I've always thought of as being a very large handkerchief but between the two of them they're moving Rutea right along at 5-6 knots.

The forecast is for more of the same for the next four days so we're just going to ride it out and see where we wind up. Our spirits are pretty good and we're doing a good job of managing our seasickness. The boat is doing great - the cabin is dry (but kind of a disaster with almost everything that was on the shelves now on the cabin sole) and the only failure we've had is the fiber optic link between the SSB control head and the transceiver broke (a wine bottle smacking it for too long was to blame). So, no single side band radio until we can get a new cable but we've still got the sat phone to send and receive emails. Or to make calls.

We're all fine - just a little pissed off that the forecasters were so wrong about the conditions we were going to face. We'll try to do another posting tomorrow.
At 4/19/2012 7:55 PM (utc) Rutea's position was 28°08.53'S 175°13.52'E

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

No comments:

Post a Comment